Damien is about 3.5 months old right now. It seems like he’s been in our lives for a very long time, but it’s not very long at all. My experience as a mother the first time around has been very different this time. Thanks in part to less hectic hormones, better milk supply and more sleep, I’m feeling great! I don’t have postpartum depression this time around and feel like I’m handling things – and even enjoying them. Of course, I usually hit a slump in the late afternoon when I a) need more coffee and b) really just need some down time.
(Aiden / Damien)
When I look back and compare my life at 3.5 months with Aiden and how it is now, it’s like comparing apples to oranges.
- Aiden: waking up every 45mins – 2 hours all night.
- Damien: sleeps 13 hours with 1 dreamfeed before I go to sleep.
- Aiden: going out multiple times a day, napping Aiden in a jiggle motion for his 20-minute catnaps. Went out to lunch, coffee and breastfeeding support groups.
- Damien: Go to Aiden’s playgroups, parks, coffee and sometimes lunch
- Aiden: lots of walks for naps, mostly with the Ergo. Wouldn’t sleep in the Ergo if we were indoors.
- Damien: walking not easy with 2, so he’s jiggled to sleep in the Ergo wherever we are.
- Aiden: would only nap at home if nursed to sleep. Was a huge struggle.
- Damien: prefers to sleep at home in his crib. Sleep is max 43 mins though.
- Aiden: still developing relationships with other moms
- Damien: have fantastic and supportive mom friends, many of whom also have 2nd children by now
- Aiden: constant attention at home, library time, song groups, reading time several times a day
- Damien: often just held while talking with Aiden, no specific groups of his own, his ‘reading’ time is when I read to Aiden
- Aiden: no time to do anything, so bogged down by co-sleeping
- Damien: back to working part time by 3 weeks, blogging here, going on date nights
To back all that up, there’s the obvious difference in our parenting: we know more and are far more confident. Although Damien is not a super laid-back baby, compared to some, he’s far more laid back than Aiden at this age (thanks to sleep!).
Ah, to be a parent to 2!